Re: [Freeipmi-users] Some basic questions

From: Raghavendra G
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Some basic questions
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:55:20 +0530

Hi Albert,

If there is no process is running on port 623 then why do we specify the
port as 623 in the RMCP packets?? I am not able to get how the packet is
sent to the Service processor? Is it something Inherent in RMCP ?? Is there
a good documentation about this??

Regards,

On 5/26/06, Albert Chu <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Ragha,

> Lookinginto the problem I've found that on the blades no process is
> running on the port 623 (which is the default port used by rmcpping).

No process is required to run w/ port 623 since rmcpping communicates
with the service processor on a motherboard.  If the service processor
runs on stand-by power (many motherboards do, yours may not necessarily)
that means you can even rmcpping a machine when it is powered off.

> In that case how is the communication b/w BMC and MCs is done??
> Is it through the IPMB Bus?? i.e., does BMC and MCs on the blades
> never use Ethernet to communicate (Specifically MCs not the processes
like
> openhpiapps running on blades)??

I've seen some bladed solutions that only allow remote management with
the blade manager, and not with an individual blade.  It is the
responsibility of the blade manager to then communicate with each blade
to do the management activity (power control, sensor retrieval, etc.).
I don't know your specific hardware, so I can't really say about your
particular hardware.

I *think* communication is done through the ICMB bus to the blades, but
my terminology understanding may be wrong here.  However, I've also seen
it done through serial.  So it's just up to the implementation.

925-422-5311