[Freeipmi-users] Roadmap/Plans for FreeIPMI 0.5.0

From: Al Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Roadmap/Plans for FreeIPMI 0.5.0
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:06:26 -0700

Howdy everyone,

0.4.0 is just out the door, but I'm already planning for 0.5.0.  Some
work is already done.  I actually contemplated putting it into 0.4.0 (or
delaying 0.4.0), but I decided not too b/c most of it was not even
tested yet.

If there is anything else people are interested in, please let us know.

Goal is for release later this year.

0.5.0 Definite
--------------

- Add IPMI 2.0 protocol support into remaining tools (ipmi-chassis,
ipmi-fru, ipmi-sensors, ipmi-sel, ipmi-raw, ipmimonitoring).

- Support IPMI compliance workarounds for specific vendors in most other
FreeIPMI tools (ipmi-chassis, ipmi-fru, ipmi-sensors, ipmi-sel, ipmi-
raw, ipmimonitoring).

- Tool/Library "Unification": Many of the tools/libraries were mergers
of software from California Digital, Zresearch, and Lawrence Livermore
Labs.  The code was often done differently.  To the best of my ability,
I want to get the tools/libraries more consistent with each other in
terms of:
  - error codes
  - error messages
  - command line options
  - manpages
  - etc.

- Bmc-config/Pef-config re-architecture for faster commit/checkout
  - Pro: it's too slow right now, faster would be good
  - Con: it'll be a lot of work for something that works already

- Enable debugging by default
  - Pro: makes it easier to debug stuff
  - Con: cannot allow all debugging to be enabled by default, may need
      to add additional "advanced debugging" option to tools or
      something like that.

- Split up libfreeipmi into libfreeipmi and libudm.
  - Pro: reduce code size of libfreeipmi
  - Con: backwards compatability broken

- Make sdr-caching code into an actual library
  - Pro: it's out there and some people have expressed interest.
  - Con: need cycles ...

925-422-5311