RE: [Freeipmi-users] How to obtain the OID

From: Al Chu
Subject: RE: [Freeipmi-users] How to obtain the OID
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:10:31 -0800

Hey Michael,

Ahhh, the OID for SNMP.  I have never setup snmp w/ IPMI, so I had to
look into it more.

According to the "Platform Event Trap Format Specification" (you can
find it towards the bottom of the page here:
http://www.intel.com/design/servers/ipmi/spec.htm), the OID for all (??)
IPMI traps seems to be:

iso(1).org(3),dod(6).internet(1),private(4).enterprises
(1).wired_for_management(3183).PET(1).version(1).

I'm not 100% knowledgeable on snmp, but 1.3.6.1.4.1 seems to be the
pretty standard prefix to vendor OIDs.  Wired for management is another
specification related to IPMI, so that's where the 3183.1.1 probably
comes from.

In the document, it also states what the trap will look like and all the
data inside the packet.  It looks like there would have to be a lot of
parsing involved.  FreeIPMI currently does not have a snmp-trap parser
to deal with this, but I put it on my TODO for later (perhaps to work
with net-snmp or something).

Al

P.S.  Unrelated, but as an FYI to you and others, as far as I can tell,
IPMI only supports SNMP traps, not gets/sets.  You can configure alert
destinations, community strings, etc. via pef-config(8).