Re: [Freeipmi-users] Could not find inband device

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Could not find inband device
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:40:38 -0700

Hi,

Hmmm that's interesting.  I have a Sun X4140 which works w/ both KCS and
the OpenIPMI Linux driver, so I don't think I broke something in the
newer code.

Are you running on Solaris or Linux?  If you're on Linux, you (probably)
can't configure with --with-dont-check-for-root.  If you're using the
FreeIPMI KCS driver, you definitely have to be root.  If you use the
Linux kernel driver, you might be able to be non-root (at minimum you
have to make sure /dev/ipmi0 allows non-root).  If you're using Solaris,
I'm not 100% sure (b/c I don't have a Solaris machine w/ IPMI).  I'll
probably need you to turn on some debugging to get me some additional
debug info.

LMK if --with-dont-check-for-root was the problem.  At a minimum, I'll
add some additional documentation about this.

Al