Re: [Freeipmi-users] help

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] help
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:43:13 -0800

Hey Abraham,

> It is interesting because ipmi-locate says that I have a BMC device
> /dev/i2c-0 but it isn't listed in /dev/ directory.

That's the default values.  I should probably tweak the tool to not
output the defaults value by default.  It does confuse people.

This is confusing, b/c

> Probing KCS device using DMIDECODE... done
> IPMI Version: 1.5
> IPMI locate driver: DMIDECODE
> IPMI interface: KCS
> BMC driver device:
> BMC I/O base address: 0xCA8
> Register spacing: 4

indicates it did find an IPMI device.  I guess there could be an
internal failure and subsequently falling through to "can't find an
inband device".  You're running as root, correct?

I'm wondering if the IPMI card is hung and can't do anything.  Here's a
trick a learned on some motherboards.  If you pull the power plug and
let power on the card dissipate, the card is able to reset itself and
maybe un-stuck itself (IPMI cards sit on standby power, which is why
pulling the plug resets it).  Sorry, it sucks, but unfortunately a lot
of vendors aren't making very reliable IPMI cards :-(

Al