Re: [Freeipmi-users] FreeIPMI on OpenSolaris

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] FreeIPMI on OpenSolaris
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:49:35 -0700

Hi Lance,

I'll have to defer a number of the below questions to other people since
I do almost all of my work on Linux.  But I'll answer what I recall.

> Also I see an implication in the documentation for FreeIPMI tools
> that the kernel driver may not be needed and indeed the ipmi-locate
> tool does locate the KCS interface of the BMC on my platforms but
> none of the other tools play. Instead they all report similar errors
> such as, "could not find inband device". Is the kernel mode BMC
> driver necessary on OpenSolaris or can the tools work through the KCS
> with out it?

Something is coming back to me about this.  In Linux/BSD, we do memory
mapped I/O from userspace to do the KCS.  However, in Solaris,
apparently this is not allowed and you can only do the I/O via a driver.
So it would suggest that the driver is required, but I am not a Solaris
expert in any way.

Is it possible you're looking at the "default" outputs from ipmi-locate
and not an actual discovered KCS device?

> An education on the need of the kernel driver and any suggestions on
> an unencumbered replacement or a recommendation on a platform such as
> FreeBSD that might be a good reference for writing a new one which
> the FreeIPMI tools would be happy with would be very appreciated.

Last I recall, the KCS driver is what is used by people on FreeBSD for
FreeIPMI.  But again, I'm not sure if the userspace KCS driver is
"legal" on Solaris.  Presumably a OS kernel driver would have to be
written.

Al