Re: [Freeipmi-users] Serial Console hang during reboot

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Serial Console hang during reboot
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 09:29:04 -0700

Hi Phil,

I haven't personally witnessed this, but I have heard of this happening
before.

There is no direct workaround, since the problem is on the motherboard.
My assumption is that internally the BMC-UART connection on the
motherboard is reset in some way during a reboot.  From the client
perspective, the IPMI connection is fine and dandy.

Although not available w/ the ipmiconsole tool itself, there is an
indirect workaround in the libipmiconsole library called
SERIAL_KEEPALIVE.  As the name suggests, it implements keepalive
messages via serial data instead of IPMI data (internally, it sends NUL
chars once in awhile).  That way, tools like Conman or Conserver can
detect the lost connection quickly and restart it.

If you're interested, I can add the workaround as an option to
ipmiconsole too.  I only left it in libipmiconsole b/c I considered this
a problem for Conman/Conserver, not for a user using ipmiconsole on the
command line.

Al