Re: [Freeipmi-users] The power consumption of computer

From: Easley
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] The power consumption of computer
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:04:31 +0800

Al,
Thanks a lot. It's very usefull.
But I have a problem, how can I identify the motherboard support the
power/wattage or not.
I mean I program it.
Is freeipmi take advantage of BMC?
How I get power/wattage via BMC?
Any help will be appreciated.
--GHui

From:  "Al Chu"<address@hidden>;
Date:  Wed, Sep 14, 2011 10:38 PM
To:  "Easley"<address@hidden>;
Cc:  "freeipmi-users"<address@hidden>;

Hi,

You can get sensor readings via ipmi-sensors, which may provide you with
power/wattage information.  But it depends on the motherboard.  If your
motherboard doesn't support those sensors, you're out of luck.

A few motherboard vendors have OEM specific extensions that support
power/watt readings which you can get via ipmi-oem.  But those are
motherboard specific.  You can check the manpage for ipmi-oem to see if
any extensions for your motherboard are there.

In the future, I hope to extend FreeIPMI to support some additional
power measurement features.  But that's a ways out (many motherboards
don't support it yet, so I don't have anything to try it/test it on).

Hope that helps,

Al