Re: [Freeipmi-users] Dell ipmi-oem chassis slot availability?

From: Ryan Cox
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Dell ipmi-oem chassis slot availability?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 13:43:26 -0700

Al,

I just found this on 0xDC for a blade in slot 16:
# ipmi-raw 0 6 59 0 0xDC 0 0
rcvd: 59 00 11 00 00 10 53 4C 4F 54 2D 31 36 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

You'll have to bear with me on this since I'm not sure of what the standard is for counting bytes when referring to the data returned from ipmi-raw, so I'll assume the "59" is byte 0.

Bytes 11 and 12 ("31" and "36" above) have the slot number for each of the M610s, M910s, M600s, and M610X that I tested. It's a weird way of encoding it but it has worked everywhere I have tested. Bit 0 of byte 11 is the first *decimal* digit of the slot number (i.e. 0 or 1). I assume that other bits could be used if Dell comes out with a chassis that holds more blades but, of course, have no way to test that. Bits 0-3 of byte 12 are the second decimal digit of the slot number (i.e. 0-9).

I've tested on close to 100 blades and it is consistent.

Examples:

Slot 15:  rcvd: 59 00 11 00 00 10 53 4C 4F 54 2D 31 35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Slot 05:  rcvd: 59 00 11 00 00 10 53 4C 4F 54 2D 30 35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Slot 02:  rcvd: 59 00 11 00 00 10 53 4C 4F 54 2D 30 32 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Slot 14:  rcvd: 59 00 11 00 00 10 53 4C 4F 54 2D 31 34 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Ryan