Re: [Freeipmi-users] ACER FS1100A motherboard, nothing in /dev, ipmi_si

From: G.W. Haywood
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ACER FS1100A motherboard, nothing in /dev, ipmi_si fails to load.
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 22:23:09 +0000 (GMT)

Hello again,

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012, Al Chu wrote:

Actually, one more side thought.  When you run ipmi-locate, does it find
any IPMI devices on your system?

mail5:~# >>> ipmi-locate
Probing KCS device using DMIDECODE... FAILED
Probing SMIC device using DMIDECODE... FAILED
Probing BT device using DMIDECODE... FAILED
Probing SSIF device using DMIDECODE... FAILED
Probing KCS device using SMBIOS... FAILED
Probing SMIC device using SMBIOS... FAILED
Probing BT device using SMBIOS... FAILED
Probing SSIF device using SMBIOS... FAILED
Probing KCS device using ACPI... FAILED
Probing SMIC device using ACPI... FAILED
Probing BT device using ACPI... FAILED
Probing SSIF device using ACPI... FAILED
Probing KCS device using PCI... FAILED
Probing SMIC device using PCI... FAILED
Probing BT device using PCI... FAILED
Probing SSIF device using PCI... FAILED

KCS device default values: IPMI Version: 1.5
IPMI locate driver: DEFAULT
IPMI interface: KCS
BMC driver device: BMC I/O base address: 0xCA2
Register spacing: 1

SMIC device default values: IPMI Version: 1.5
IPMI locate driver: DEFAULT
IPMI interface: SMIC
BMC driver device: BMC I/O base address: 0xCA9
Register spacing: 1

BT device default values: SSIF device default values: IPMI Version: 1.5
IPMI locate driver: DEFAULT
IPMI interface: SSIF
BMC driver device: /dev/i2c-0
BMC SMBUS slave address: 0x42
Register spacing: 1

I don't know the inner details of the kernel driver, but I'm wondering
if it cannot find a device, it doesn't know what to do.  It's possible
IPMI is fully supported on your system, but you can only communicate to
a predefined address.

Any clue how to find out what that address might be?
Or what to do if it's memory-mapped?

Handle 0x003C, DMI type 38, 16 bytes
IPMI Device Information
        Base Address: 0x0000000000000000 (Memory-mapped)

--

73,
Ged.