Re: [Freeipmi-users] How do I use ipmi-sensors-config output (from remot

From: Brandon
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] How do I use ipmi-sensors-config output (from remote server) with check_ipmi_sensors plugin in nagios?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 15:12:17 -0400

I thought maybe it was an issue with a special character but doesn't make
sense since i can put that password on the command line but not in a file.
Also I see a peculiar behavior in that using the Supermicro IPMI View
utility.

 I can create a secondary user which works from a file when contacting a
server running Windows OS but not Linux. I can log into the IPMI View with
the new user and password from the GUI, but not using ipmi_sensors nor
check_ipmi_sensor (Linux), but that all works on to my IPMI subsystem on
the Windows based server. I need some more machines to try this out on
before I make any correlations.

 So currently,
1-  I can get things to work when reading from a file using an Admin or
other account to the IPMI port of the Windows server
2- I cannot get any user logged in successfully when reading from a file to
my Linux serve, but can
    a- Use check_ipmi_sensor (using -U -P -L for the ADMIN account only -
even if the privilege level is not correct, ie- I put in "user" instead of
Administrator, and case does not matter either ) but not reading the same
info from a file ( -f  /etc/ipmi-config/hostname-ipmi.cfg ) : I get:
           "/usr/local/sbin/ipmi-sensors: password verification timeout"
 error
    b- I can create and log in to IPMI View successfully using a user level
account, which I call "monitoring" , but cannot connect in any way (command
line or reading info from a file) using this account with  ipmi_sensors or
check_ipmi_sensor command from my Nagios server. Here I get
            "/usr/local/sbin/ipmi-sensors:: username invalid"

Perplexed.