[Freeipmi-users] IPMI and the HP smart array

From: Daniele Sluijters
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] IPMI and the HP smart array
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:43:30 +0200

Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying to build something to monitor a bunch of HP servers
remotely through IPMI. Now I've managed to use the freeipmi and ipmitool
binaries to get just about any information I need from our machines:
some-tool -D LAN_2_0 -u USER -P -h hostname

This works wonderfully well, except for one thing, I can't get any information
about the Smart Array Controller and the disks connected to it. I've called HP
Business Support and their answer was 'Yeah if you get rid of the Smart Array
Controller it would probably work because you'd be able to read the SATA
ports'. I've also posted on the HP discussions board about this but I'm
doubtful I'll get anything useful,
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/iLO-IPMI-and-Smart-Array-controller/m-p/5830105.

Ditching the Smart Array Controller is not an option for us but I can't really
imagine that not even a single engineer at HP thought 'oh wait, it might be
useful to expose disk and array status through IPMI'. I was wondering if anyone
has ever managed to get status info of the HP Smart Array Controller and the
disks behind it over IPMI and if so, how?

If not, is there some dark path I can go down to try and figure out if the
information is actually available through some kind of vendor specific
extension that the tools just don't expose yet?

Kind regards,

--
Daniele Sluijters