Re: [Freeipmi-users] IPMI and the HP smart array

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] IPMI and the HP smart array
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:17:24 -0700

Hi Daniele,

> I was wondering if anyone has ever managed to get status info of the
> HP Smart Array Controller and the disks behind it over IPMI and if
> so, how?

Although there are technically feasible ways this can happen, the odds
are low.  I've never seen a vendor store SDR information in an alternate
location.

> If not, is there some dark path I can go down to try and figure out if
> the information is actually available through some kind of vendor
> specific extension that the tools just don't expose yet?

An OEM extension to receive this information is the far more likely
candidate for your scenario.  If you look through the manpage for
ipmi-oem, you'll see that some storage monitoring extensions were
available on some Fujitsu motherboards.

Fujitsu was kind enough to publish their OEM extensions in a publicly
accessible document.  I'm not sure if HP has such a history publishing
things online.  A quick google search found me nothing.

The next best bet is to ask HP if they have extensions available.  If
they can open up the documents publicly (i.e. non-NDA) they can be
programmed into ipmi-oem.  Otherwise, you'd have to stick to using
ipmi-raw to deal with the raw hex codes (or program them into ipmi-oem
for your own local build).

Hope that helps,

Al