[Freeipmi-users] Unable to connect with IPMI on Supermicro X9DRFR

From: Simon Kuhn
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Unable to connect with IPMI on Supermicro X9DRFR
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 18:28:53 -0700

We received a new model from Supermicro that we're attempting to integrate into
our production environment, without any luck when it comes to FreeIPMI
interaction.

It uses motherboard X9DRFR (according to the manual, this has a Nuvoton
WPCM450R BMC with ATEN firmware). Any commands performed over the network
(using FreeIPMI 1.2.2) seem to fail, with ipmiconsole returning:

        [error received]: excess errors received

and bmc-info returning:

        connection timeout

If I run ipmiconsole --debug (output at [1]), among the output I see:

        (ipmiconsole_checks.c, ipmiconsole_check_checksum, 82):
hostname=hostname.ipmi; protocol_state=1h: checksum check failed; p = 1

I have also tried all of the documented workarounds from the man pages (and
various combinations).

ipmitool seems to work fine, at least for chassis and sol commands that we
routinely use. Running the FreeIPMI commands on the local host also seems to
work, but we do everything over the network so that's not much help.

If there's anything else I can provide that would help to identify the issue,
I'm happy to do so. I can also reach out to SuperMicro, but I don't know how
likely or involved a fix on their side might be.

Simon

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/061me6ynz8r2x9t/ipmiconsole.out.txt