Re: [Freeipmi-users] HP iL03 1.5 adds support for Drive Monitoring

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] HP iL03 1.5 adds support for Drive Monitoring
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:50:23 -0800

On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 16:00 +0100, Daniele Sluijters wrote:
> Hello,
>
> HP has "recently" released an update to iLO3, bringing it up to v1.50. Most
> important in this update is
> the ability to monitor disk drives through IPMI. This update only applies to
> BL/ML/SL/DL servers G7.
>
> A complete list of enhancements can be found at: http://is.gd/aCWHvd
>
> It seems unlikely a similar update is in the works for iLO2.
>
> HP has also updated its severely limited documentation but doesn't seem to
> have expanded the iLO
> sections in the documentation at all.
>
> I've tested this on a few of our machines and with the new firmware and
> freeipmi 0.7.17 (Debian stable).
> We now get disk status, the output looks like this:

As an FYI this is very old.  FreeIPMI already has gone through a line of
0.8.X, 1.0.X, 1.1.X lines and now is at 1.2.4.

> 46: Cntlr 1 Bay 1 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 47: Cntlr 1 Bay 2 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 48: Cntlr 1 Bay 3 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 49: Cntlr 1 Bay 4 (Drive Slot): [OK]
> 50: Cntlr 2 Bay 5 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 51: Cntlr 2 Bay 6 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 52: Cntlr 2 Bay 7 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 53: Cntlr 2 Bay 8 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 54: Cntlr 3 Bay 1 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 55: Cntlr 3 Bay 2 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 56: Cntlr 3 Bay 3 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 57: Cntlr 3 Bay 4 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 58: Cntlr 4 Bay 5 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 59: Cntlr 4 Bay 6 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 60: Cntlr 4 Bay 7 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
> 61: Cntlr 4 Bay 8 (Drive Slot): [Drive Presence]
>
> A status of OK means there's no drive installed in that slot, Drive Presence
> means a drive is installed and
> operational. Turning on the UID of a drive does not affect the output, it
> will still display Drive Presence or OK.
> I've yet to determine what it will output when a drive is failing.

It depends on the manufacturer.  The possible outputs for a drive are:

    "Drive Presence",
    "Drive Fault",
    "Predictive Failure",
    "Hot Spare",
    "Consistency Check / Parity Check in progress",
    "In Critical Array",
    "In Failed Array",
    "Rebuild/Remap in progress",
    "Rebuild/Remap Aborted (was not completed normally)",

the manufacturer can implement all, none, or some of these.  If you look
at the output of ipmi-sensors w/ -vv you should be able to see what
events are possible on your hardware (caveat: I'm not sure if this is
available in 0.7.0, it's a half new feature).  In the newer FreeIPMI I
see something like this:

# ipmi-sensors -vv -r 48
Record ID: 48
Record Type: Compact Sensor Record (2h)
ID String: Drive
Sensor Type: Drive Slot (Dh)
Sensor Number: 128
IPMB Slave Address: 10h
Sensor Owner ID: 20h
Sensor Owner LUN: 0h
Channel Number: 0h
Entity ID: Disk Drive Bay (26)
Entity Instance: 1
Entity Instance Type: Physical Entity
Event/Reading Type Code: 6Fh
Sensor Direction: Unspecified
Assertion Event Enabled: 'Drive Presence'
Assertion Event Enabled: 'Drive Fault'
Deassertion Event Enabled: 'Drive Presence'
Deassertion Event Enabled: 'Drive Fault'
Share Count: 8
ID String Instance Modifier Type: Numeric
ID String Instance Modifier Offset: 0
Entity Instance Sharing: Same for all records
Sensor Event: 'OK'

So in this drive slot sensor, the only events are 'Drive Presence' and
'Drive Fault' (similarly it outputs 'OK' b/c there is no drive here).

In newer FreeIPMIs there is an option --output-sensor-state that will
map all of the errors into either NOMINAL, WARNING, or CRITICAL status,
which is easier for scripting and monitoring.  The same status can be
found in the old ipmimonitoring tool.

> ipmi-sensors -L now also has a new category:
> Drive_Slot
>
> According to the release notes it it also possible to read temperature
> sensors on select Smart Array Controllers,
> but I haven't been able to figure out what ours are and if it should work.

One possibility is that sensor bridging needs to be done to do this.  It
can be done w/ --bridge-sensors.