Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmi-sensors and Supermicro motherboard.

From: Jean-Yves Avenard
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmi-sensors and Supermicro motherboard.
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:53:39 +1100

Hi.

On 11 December 2013 05:56, Albert Chu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is it possible the threshold field was commented out by default and you
> forgot to uncomment the field?

the config file is as generated by the toolt itself.

the entry doesn't appear commented out:

Section 674_FAN1
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_All_Event_Messages                                                   Yes
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Scanning_On_This_Sensor                                              Yes
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Assertion_Event_Lower_Critical_Going_Low                             Yes
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Assertion_Event_Lower_Non_Recoverable_Going_Low                      Yes
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Assertion_Event_Upper_Critical_Going_High                            Yes
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Assertion_Event_Upper_Non_Recoverable_Going_High                     Yes
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Deassertion_Event_Lower_Critical_Going_Low                           Yes
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Deassertion_Event_Lower_Non_Recoverable_Going_Low                    Yes
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Deassertion_Event_Upper_Critical_Going_High                          Yes
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_Deassertion_Event_Upper_Non_Recoverable_Going_High                   Yes
## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM
Lower_Non_Critical_Threshold
     500.000000
## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM
Lower_Critical_Threshold
     350.000000
## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM
Lower_Non_Recoverable_Threshold
     200.000000
## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM
Upper_Non_Critical_Threshold
     18975.000000
## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM
Upper_Critical_Threshold
     19050.000000
## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM
Upper_Non_Recoverable_Threshold
     19125.000000
## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM; 'None' to not
use hysteresis
Positive_Going_Threshold_Hysteresis
     75.000000
## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM; 'None' to not
use hysteresis
Negative_Going_Threshold_Hysteresis
     75.000000
EndSection

> If the field is commented out by default, it likely means the field is
> not settable on the motherboard.

I can't be certain it's not commented out; but it doesn't appear so

> If by chance you know for fact it is settable (such as via a Supermicro
> specific tool), that means there is a bug on the motherboard advertising
> the wrong information.  I'd have to implement a workaround to deal with
> it.

I can set the threshold using the ipmiutil like so:
ipmiutil sensor -N 192.168.10.251 -U ADMIN -R "password" -n 41 -i 0x02a2 -l 0x04

so it's definitely writeable.

Hope this help
JY