Re: [Freeipmi-users] power readings

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] power readings
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 09:14:12 -0800

Hi Ken,

The short answer is depends heavily on your motherboard and the way you
are getting the data.

For example, if you are doing it via Intel power node manager

> /usr/sbin/ipmi-oem intelnm get-node-manager-statistics
Current Power                                 : 490 Watts
Minimum Power                                 : 36 Watts
Maximum Power                                 : 681 Watts
Average Power                                 : 497 Watts
Power Statistics Reporting Period             : 1 seconds
<snip>

I think the output speaks for itself, there is instantaneous and averages.

If it's DCMI

> /usr/sbin/ipmi-dcmi --get-system-power-statistics
Current Power                        : 246 Watts
Minimum Power over sampling duration : 246 watts
Maximum Power over sampling duration : 246 watts
Average Power over sampling duration : 246 watts
Time Stamp                           : 05/15/2012 - 18:31:24
Statistics reporting time period     : 69380 milliseconds
Power Measurement                    : Not Available

likewise instantaneous & averages.  Here's a specific one to Dell

> /usr/sbin/ipmi-oem dell get-power-consumption-data
Cumulative Energy Start Time : 09/10/09 - 16:07:49
Cumulative Energy            : 199.93
kWh Peak Amp Time            : 04/27/11 - 19:18:27
Peak Amp                     : 0.90 A
Peak Watt Time               : 04/27/11 - 23:10:10
Peak Watt                    : 197 W

It appears this is definitely an averaging one.

If you are getting it via ipmi-sensors, it's almost definitely
instantenous.

Universally, I would say they are never blocking calls.

The interval is usually read through another one of the options
available in the tool/tools or listed right there (in several of the
cases above).  Don't remember options off the top of my head, but
hopefully some trial & error with the options listed in the manpage will
be enough.

Hope that helps,

Al