[Freeipmi-users] Problem pasting data into ipmiconsole

From: David O'Shea
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Problem pasting data into ipmiconsole
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 12:04:30 +1000

Hi all,

With version 1.2.1-6.el6_5 RPM from CentOS 6, when I ran 'ipmiconsole'
and pasted in a fairly small amount of data (maybe 15 or so
characters), I got "[error received]: excess retransmissions sent".  I
got a similar issue when writing about that much data from a Python
script using libipmiconsole.  I figured this means I should move on to
a newer version.

With version 1.4.3, which I built from source with debugging enabled,
it seems like I need to paste a bit more data to trigger problems.  In
this case, I don't get an error like the above, instead things just
seem to get "stuck": I never seem to get a response from the remote
system, but sending an escape sequence still works.

I started ipmiconsole, pasted " 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" (54 characters long), then after a few seconds I used
".." to terminate:

"""
$ [...]/freeipmi-1.4.3/ipmiconsole/ipmiconsole -h hostname -u admin -p calvin
-e . --debug --debugfile
[SOL established]

[closing the connection]
"""

The target is a Dell iDRAC7 with firmware version 1.56.55.

I put some of the log file that was generated up at
https://gist.github.com/dcoshea/e7a15e34395c09da2f81 (after replacing
the hostname with "hostname").  If you go to line 889
[https://gist.github.com/dcoshea/e7a15e34395c09da2f81#file-gistfile1-txt-L889],
this seems to be the part that relates to when I pasted in the text.
It seems that ipmiconsole keeps re-sending the data and the iDRAC
keeps responding with NACKs.  The entire log contains 2000 of these
messages:

(ipmiconsole_processing.c, _sol_bmc_to_remote_console_packet, 2672):
hostname=hostname; protocol_state=9h: SOL packet NACKED:
accepted_character_count: accepted_character_count = 0,
c->session.sol_input_character_data_len = 54

Thanks in advance,
David