Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiconsole: "could not set errnum: current = 31, d

From: David O'Shea
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiconsole: "could not set errnum: current = 31, desired = 25"
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 22:13:49 +1000

Thanks Al (and Hank) for your replies, please see below:

> Subject: RE: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiconsole: "could not set errnum: current =
> 31, desired = 25"
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:40:11 -0700

> On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 10:11 +1000, David O'Shea wrote:
> > Hi Al,
> >
> > Thanks for the response, please see below:
> >
> > > Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] ipmiconsole: "could not set errnum:
> > current = 31, desired = 25"
> > > From: address@hidden
> > > To: address@hidden
> > > CC: address@hidden
> > > Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:24:00 -0700
> > >
> > > Hi David,
> > >
> > [...]
> > 2801):
> > scbuf_write:
> > set
> > >
> > > Interesting, it appears that the buffer (scbuf_write) overflowed its
> > > max, which is defaulted to 16K. That's what likely caused the
> > internal
> > > error. I guess there was a ton of data coming out. It's possible if
> > > the buffer were increased you may not see the problem anymore. The
> > max
> > > was picked along time ago and perhaps BMCs are simply able to pump
> > out
> > > more data than they used to.
> >
> > I assume this is the CONSOLE_BMC_TO_REMOTE_CONSOLE_BUF_MAX definition,
> > and I'd have to recompile to override this?
>
> Yeah, although I'd say go ahead and double all the buffers there.  It
> won't make a huge difference anyways.  Heck, even quadrupling it to 64K
> probably would be fine too.

Thanks for the info, but I will skip doing this for now..

> > Could the problem be that I'm not reading from the file descriptor
> > fast enough?
>
> Actually, that is a very likely reason.

..as I think I've rectified this..

> > I have the FD set to non-blocking mode and I have a thread that
> > basically just reads up to 2K from the FD, and if it times out it
> > sleeps for ~10ms and tries again, otherwise it does a bit of
> > processing and then writes the data to a pipe to another thread, I
> > suppose the write to the pipe could be block if the other thread is
> > too slow or something.
>
> Why not use select() or poll()?  That way you can just read from the FD
> whenever there is data.

I just didn't think too much about it, but I'm doing this now, thanks!

> > file descriptor waiting for EOF to indicate an error?
> > >
> > > Nope, that's correct usage. Your situation is admittedly unique. Is
> > > this something that can't be programmed around? Or is this more just
> > > "interesting thing that happened."
> >
> > I can't really program around it reliably - I could add some logic to
> > reconnect if I lose the connection, but if the message I'm waiting for
> > happened to appear while I was disconnected, that would be bad.
>
> Yeah, unfortunately there's not much we can do here.  IPMI being UDP
> based, sometimes timeouts can just happen.  Other issues independent of
> IPMI also happen.  We found some motherboards will reset the internal
> IPMI chip during a reboot, so the connection goes away during a reboot
> anyways :P  The writer of Conman deals with these errors appropriately
> whenever they are encountered.

Yes, I see Conman reconnects.  If I keep seeing issues I guess I'll try doing
the same thing; there might be some risk of missing an important message while
disconnected, but hopefully the odds of that happening will be pretty low.

Thanks,
David