Re: [Freeipmi-users] Lost

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Lost
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 08:13:35 -0700

I think there is a subtlety that you are missing.  That fact that some IPMI
configuration options are available in the BIOS for you may be confusing
you.

There are config values in the motherboard firmware that must be configured
in order for IPMI over LAN to function.  For example, IP, MAC, usernames,
passwords, etc.  For most motherboards, this is done in the operating
system via a tool (such as ipmi-config).  Some motherboards may support
this configuration in the BIOS, but it's not that common.  Most still elect
to use the operating system tools b/c it's easier to config on the command
line.

When you use ipmi-config, you are creating a file that you can edit.  Once
editted, ipmi-config can read the configuration and configure the firmware
appropriately based on what's in that file.  So if you configure a new IP
in the config file, ipmi-config will tell the firmware to use that new IP.

This configuration is only on IPMI servers.  Non-IPMI machines don't need
this.

FreeIPMI presently does not offer a GUI.

Al