[Freeipmi-users] FreeIPMI does not work with Sun Fire X4200 but IPMItool

From: nand
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] FreeIPMI does not work with Sun Fire X4200 but IPMItool does?
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 19:46:03 +0100

Hello freeipmi-users,

I have a Sun Fire X4200 that I am trying to remotely control (via
MAAS) using IPMI.

I have changed the root password to ‘example’ for the sake of testing.

1. ssh login works. (ssh address@hidden and typing in ‘example’ logs me in and
   I can proceed to power the machine on or off)

2. ipmitool works:

     $ ipmitool -I lanplus -H foo -U root -P example user list
     ID  Name             Callin  Link Auth  IPMI Msg   Channel Priv Limit
     1                    false   false      true       NO ACCESS
     2   root             false   false      true       ADMINISTRATOR
     3   maas             true    true       true       ADMINISTRATOR
     11  ldapproxy        true    true       true       OPERATOR

   (I can also use ipmitool to power the machine on or off)

3. freeipmi does not:

     $ ipmipower -D LAN_2_0 -h foo -u root -P example --stat
     foo: password invalid

   I have also tested other freeipmi tools such as ipmi-sel with the
   same result.

This causes problems because MAAS uses ipmipower and not ipmitool to
monitor and control hosts via IPMI.

I tried multiple different passwords, multiple different users, I tried
enabling every authentication method via bmc-config, I tried setting the
password in different ways (ILOM, bmc-config, ipmitool). I'm at a loss
for what else to try.

Do you have any idea what could be going wrong here? Every other host
works, it just seems to be this specific machine that's incompatible
with freeipmi.

Thanks,
nand