Re: [Freeipmi-users] Help | Cannot Detect Nodes with IPMI

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Help | Cannot Detect Nodes with IPMI
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 17:32:46 -0800

Hi Jeff,

On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 17:14 -0800, Jeff Van wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> Thank you for the response!
>
> As a follow up question, would you happen to be able to describe how
> one might do BIOS configs to determine which port allows IPMI?

Every motherboard is different, so you'll ultimately have to look into
the product info for your board.

> After searching on the internet on how to do it, I've tried the
> following on the head node:
> Pressed F2 to enter system setup after system Power-On Self-Test
> (POST, or while it's booting up). However, after combing through the
> settings options, I could not find any information about IPMI and
> associated ports.  The closest thing I could find was under
> "Integrated Devices", where it displayed the capabilities of the NIC
> ports, which I've included a screenshot of, in this email. However,
> none of the NIC ports display IPMI or idrac under the "capabilities"
> section. Additionally, in my configurations, I have NIC Selection set
> to Shared on both the head node and the node I am trying to
> communicate with, in case that makes a difference.

I haven't worked on a poweredge for years, so I can only go off
recollection.  My recollection is somewhere in the BIOS is some type of
"baseboard management" config and one could pick things like
"dedicated", "shared" in the BIOS.  Take this with a grain of salt, as
I may be confusing this other motherboards.

In the ipmi-oem manpage, "shared" indicates IPMI only works on NIC1.
So that seems like a reasonable config if you're using NIC1.

Al