Re: [Freeipmi-users] Help | Cannot Detect Nodes with IPMI

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Help | Cannot Detect Nodes with IPMI
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 12:03:25 -0800

Hi Jeff,

On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 11:30 -0800, Jeff Van wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> Hmm, it seems as though I've configured everything correctly then.
>
> I also tried checking the ARP cache like you suggested, but in the
> output, there were no IP/MAC addresses that matched the IP/MAC
> address of the node I am trying to communicate with. However, if my
> understanding of ARP is correct, that shouldn't be unusual, since my
> head node has not been able to receive any kind of communications
> from the node I am trying to communicate with.

This is a good piece of data.  If the problem was on the server side
(i.e. the IPMI chip it isn't responding to your client packets) then
there should still be a cache entry on the client side. (This is
assuming you have a typical setup where recent ARP entries are cached.)

But the lack of an entry suggests this a client side problem.  It can't
send packets at all because it cannot resolve the IP to a MAC address.

You may want to check the ARP configuration on the BMC (on the server)
itself.  You can see it with "ipmi-config --checkout".

Al