[Freeipmi-users] It is not possible to use `--fru-file` option in the `i

From: Konstantin Aladyshev
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] It is not possible to use `--fru-file` option in the `ipmi-fru` utility on non-IPMI system
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 12:59:37 +0300

Is it possible to use `ipmi-fru` utility to parse local binary FRU file?
I want to do it from a separate host that doesn't have any IPMI devices.
I thought that `--fru-file` option was designed specifically for this
case, but I can't get it working:

~/freeipmi-1.6.6/ipmi-fru$ sudo ./ipmi-fru -v
--fru-file=./AD-FMCADC2-EBZ-FRU.bin
could not find inband device

So there seems to be a bug that assumes you are always running on an
IPMI system.

Best regards,
Konstantin Aladyshev