[Freeipmi-users] Automated testing

From: Andy Colson
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Automated testing
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 19:44:55 -0700

Hi all.

I'm a beginner with IPMI and IPMB, so I may not be asking the right
questions, or using the right terminology.  So first off, terminology:
Chassis Controller:  This is the top level thing.  Its got a web interface
and tells everything else when to power on/off, etc.
Board Management Controller (BMC): Is a sub level controller.  There can be
several of these in a Chassis.
IPMB: IPMI over I2C.

I'm creating a BMC and currently I don't have a Chassis Controller to test
with.  I'm hoping the bmc-info, bmc-device, etc will be something I can use
to test my BMC.  I have a Raspberry Pi and have connected it via I2C to my
custom device.  At some point I'll take my custom device and plug it into a
Chassis and hope that the Chassis Controller will power me on/off, etc.

My questions:
1) Does this seem like a reasonable setup?
2) Will I be able to use freeipmi for testing, (and hopefully automated
testing)?
3) I'm assuming the Chassis Controller keeps the SEL and SDR?  If so then I
wont be able to test either of those until I get a Chassis Controller,
right?
4) Is it possible for freeipmi to act as a Chassis Controller (of any sort)?
5) If I find some command thats not supported (say a device command that
bmc-device doesnt have an option for), would ipmi-raw be something I can
turn to?  Is there a better option?

I appreciate your time,
-Andy