Re: [Freeipmi-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Node "not discovered" using ipmipowe

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Node "not discovered" using ipmipower
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 10:58:07 -0700

Great!  I'll add your motherboard to the "seen on" list and I'll also add a note about needing this workaround with the "not discovered" error.

Al

On 4/12/24 10:48, Devon Bautista wrote:
Al,

Thanks for your quick response.

Interestingly, rmcpping fails while ipmiping succeeds:

[admin@te-head ~]$ rmcpping bmc-te01
rmcpping bmc-te01 (172.16.0.101)
pong timed out: message_tag=164
^C--- rmcpping bmc-te01 statistics ---
2 pings transmitted, 0 pongs received in time, 100.0% packet loss
[admin@te-head ~]$ ipmiping bmc-te01
ipmiping bmc-te01 (172.16.0.101)
response received from 172.16.0.101: rq_seq=25
response received from 172.16.0.101: rq_seq=26
response received from 172.16.0.101: rq_seq=27
response received from 172.16.0.101: rq_seq=28
^C--- ipmiping bmc-te01 statistics ---
4 requests transmitted, 4 responses received in time, 0.0% packet loss

With that discovery, I added the 'ipmiping' workaround to the ipmipower command, which succeeds:

[admin@te-head ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/ipmipower -D lanplus -u admin -p <password> -h bmc-te01 -I 17 -W ipmiping
ipmipower> stat
bmc-te01: on

Adding '-W ipmiping' to the ipmipower command line in the powerman config causes the node to now be seen:

[admin@te-head ~]$ pm -q
on:      te01
off:
unknown:

It seems that these BMCs either don't support RMCP or have it disabled, but at least there is a workaround so thank you for helping me discover it. 🙂