gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Release proposal

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Release proposal
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:59:46 +0300

Camm Maguire writes:
Greetings!

Am checking in 3) now.  Bye bye varargs, hello gcc 3.3 and higher.

Please let me know if anything breaks.  Self-compilation, test-suite,
maxima and acl2 all appear to work as before.

Latest gcl CVS and Maxima bult on the top of it
work fine - Linux 2.4, i32, gcc 3.2.1

Take care,

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

Greetings!  I'd like to do the following if feasible:

1) release 2.5.0 on or about 2/15
2) possible minor bugfix if necessary release by 2/25
3) be largely unavailable for GCL work from 3/1 - 6/1

The question now is what should go in this release.  Unfortunately,
even if we do ship an ansi binary, it will be considerably incomplete.
It still may be worth doing, but we have to find a way to clearly
indicate to the user that ansi support is still a work in progress,
lest (s)he become disenchanted :-).  Here is the most ambitious plan,
which may be doable:

1) rework the ansi build to load the pcl and clcs modules in the .text
  section, as is currently done with modules in the lsp and cmpnew
  directories.  This will enable people wanting to do a (si::link
  ...) build of, say, maxima with the ansi image should they desire.

2) Ship both images, and have the shell wrapper toggle with the -ansi
switch.
3) Eliminate varargs, and verify that GCL will consequently build with
gcc 3.3

--
     Vadim V. Zhytnikov

      <address@hidden>