gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Large commit

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Large commit
Date: 14 Feb 2003 19:55:13 -0500

Greetings!  I've just made a large commit aimed at cleaning up global
functions.  In so doing, I've reduced the global (C) function count by
about 1/3 (~ 600 functions).  I've also discovered that certain
packages using GCL have hardcoded into their lisp references to GCL's
C functions, bypassing the compiler via (clines.  This obviously is a
bad idea.  I've reworked the compiler slightly to have it generate
calls to the cmac.c functions as maxima had done.  There is also a
make_cclosure reference in PCL which could be eliminated in favor of
make_cclosure_new.

This exercise has taught me much about the compiler's writing of
function calls.  Some are fast-linked, some are explicitly defined in
lfun_list.lsp, some are inlined, some are hardcoded into the lisp
source of the compiler.  It would be *GREAT* to clean this up someday.
At the very least, one needs to know for sure that the compiler will
not write references to a function which has been made static or
eliminated.

Release hopefully this weekend!

Take care,