gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] Test of new versions of Gcl for Windows

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] Test of new versions of Gcl for Windows
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:26:08 +1000

Hi again.

A new installer dated 20030223 is on it's way to the download site and
should make it in the next two days.  (Camm - Any chance of speeding the
auto update up please?)

| I think it is due to the fact that the file gclfinal.bat, that seems to
| create gcli.bat, is written by the installer with lines ending with LF
| only, instead of CR+LF. So, for the command.com, gclfinal.bat seems to
| write only one long line containing the second "echo" with the first
| "echo", instead of writing two lines with the two "echo".

This problem is fixed and gclfinal.bat is no longer used, although it still
appears in the bin directory for the moment.

| - With 20030220 version, the same occurs, but the same solution does not
| allow to run Gcl, I obtain instead of Gcl prompt :
|
| Error: Cannot get the truename of #p"C://Programs/GCL-2.5.0/lib/gcl-
| 2.5.0/unixport/".
| Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
| Error signalled by SYSTEM::GCL-TOP-LEVEL.
| Broken at SYSTEM::SET-UP-TOP-LEVEL.  Type :H for Help.

This is bad news.  I am guessing that it is caused by the double forward
slash.  I assume that W98 is not as clever about that as either W2000 or XP.

I'm hoping that the new installer will fix that but if not, I have some work
to do.  Please let me know, Michel, how you go with the new installer.

Meanwhile, I'll try and find a W98 computer.

| I noticed also there is only the info version of the documentation, which
| is quite OK for Unix users but unusual for Windows users. I would suggest
| to add also the html version of documentation, or adding a viewer of info
| files for Windows ? Or maybe adding a few words recalling how to view the
| info doc with Emacs (and a pointer to the Emacs for NT site) ?

Good point.  A link to HTML documentation should now appear in the Start
Menu for GCL 2.5.0.  The info files can be viewed (in a rather unsatisfying
manner) from the GCL prompt - try (help) for details.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.