gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Issue on in-package from gcl-2.4.4 to gcl-2.5.2, correc

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Issue on in-package from gcl-2.4.4 to gcl-2.5.2, correct fix? where to dig?
Date: 26 Apr 2003 12:30:02 -0400

Greetings!  I'm away from easy access to my email until 6/1, so
correspondence will be somewhat spotty.  When I get back, I'd like to
be able to help with gcl/axiom issues if regular work will allow.

I've built an axiom cvs with the latest gcl a few months ago, and
basically the only changes required were of the sort you list.  GCL is
in the process of moving from the old lisp standard to the new ANSI
standard.  Right now, in-package is in between -- it does require a
make-package or defpackage before use, but right now it still is not a
macro, and does evaluate quoted arguments.  Don't rely on this in the
future, as it will change.  The right thing to do long term is as Paul
states -- write a bunch of defpackage calls in a separate file, and
load at the appropriate time.  If you would like to see an example,
look at the packages.lisp files in the pcl and clcs directories of the
gcl source.

If you want something dirtier which might work more quickly, you can

1) fire up gcl, do all your make-package/defpackage calls, and
   (si::save-system "new-gcl-image").  Then build axiom as normal with
   the new gcl image

2) fire up gcl, redefine in-package to call make-package first
   (checking of course that it hasn't already been run), then
   save the image as above, and build as normal with the new image.

I would *not* recommend doing either of these in the long term.  But
to experiment and flush out any other possible issues, this should
work.

Take care,