gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: surprising slowdown

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: surprising slowdown
Date: 23 Jan 2007 17:30:52 -0500

Hi Matt!

Yes this is quite surprising.  I'm running through your build
instructions now on black.  The most useful profiling information
comes from the profiling build we discussed some time ago -- I've at
least been supporting this in the Debian packages as this build method
is required still on some machines.  Do you still maintain the gprof
file in the current acl2 distribution?  If so, will it work if I
substitute loading this file for your previous build instructions?

Had an idea regarding more flexible profiling without requiring a
separate image, though the available information is more limited.  Run
with fast links off, and supply a little C function to hash the
caller, callee, and time spent, then write some diagnostic routine to
put the information together in a graph.  The ingenious fast-link
mechanism makes this possible without having to run slower when not
profiling.  As Bob Boyer noted earlier, making the call through a
pointer (which provides this flexibility) costs a mere instruction per
call on x86.

Will ry to get something like the above into 2.7 soon.

Take care,