gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Building gcl from cvs?

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Building gcl from cvs?
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 22:02:42 -0500

Camm Maguire wrote:
GCL has certain build dependencies, a working C compiler and libc
development header environment being among them.  Conventionally, GCL
also requires binutils-dev and libgmp3-dev at build time, but there
are local snapshots of these libraries to make do in a pinch.  The GMP
local build will turn on automatically if no installed GMP is found.
The binutils local build must still be invoked by hand thus:

--disable-statsysbfd --enable-locbfd

Ah, this really helps a lot on solaris/sparc for gcl2.6.8pre. Configure finishes, and it builds just about everything. The only issue is that I don't have a working pdflatex, so the build never finishes making saved_gcl. If I comment out the parts about building dwdoc.pdf, everything finishes and saved_ansi_gcl is created.

Unfortunately, cvs gcl still doesn't configure correctly. First, configure near line 4942 has this:

     if ! test -x `which ldd` ; then

I think it really should be:

     if test ! -x `which ldd` ; then

Configure still fails because it can't determine the C stack. Can I set heap_ceiling = 0 for solaris/sparc is it is for solaris-i386? If I do that, configure finishes. I'm doing the build right now. It will take quite a while before I know the outcome....

Ray