gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Building gcl from cvs?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Building gcl from cvs?
Date: 08 Jan 2008 02:36:25 -0500

Greetings!

Raymond Toy <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire wrote:
> > GCL has certain build dependencies, a working C compiler and libc
> > development header environment being among them.  Conventionally, GCL
> > also requires binutils-dev and libgmp3-dev at build time, but there
> > are local snapshots of these libraries to make do in a pinch.  The GMP
> > local build will turn on automatically if no installed GMP is found.
> > The binutils local build must still be invoked by hand thus:
> > --disable-statsysbfd --enable-locbfd
>
> Ah, this really helps a lot on solaris/sparc for
> gcl2.6.8pre. Configure finishes, and it builds just about everything.
> The only issue is that I don't have a working pdflatex, so the build
> never finishes making saved_gcl.  If I comment out the parts about
> building dwdoc.pdf, everything finishes and saved_ansi_gcl is created.
>
> Unfortunately, cvs gcl still doesn't configure correctly.  First,
> configure near line 4942 has this:
>
>       if ! test -x `which ldd` ; then
>
> I think it really should be:
>
>       if test ! -x `which ldd` ; then

Odd, I thought the former was the standard shell syntax.  I'll see if
bash groks the latter.

> Configure still fails because it can't determine the C stack.  Can I
> set heap_ceiling = 0 for solaris/sparc is it is for solaris-i386?  If
> I do that, configure finishes.  I'm doing the build right now.  It
> will take quite a while before I know the outcome....

This should be fine given that sparc puts shared libs way up around
0xf0000000 AFAIR.  The configure logic at present really is a quite
rudimentary attempt to automatically determine limits to the heap and
immediate fixnum table sizes induced by system related restrictions
such as a working .text start lowering mechanism, the location of the
C stack and C shared libs, .data segment size limits, etc.  There
appears no portable way to do this properly -- I'd be happy to be
corrected here by those in the know.  Mac and Windows just define
constants in configure and header files, etc.  I'm more than happy to
take sugggestions here, as I only really know and use Linux personally.

I'd be interested in seing the failed configure log, presuming that
ldd was corectly found.  Trouble here is, I bet the output thereof,
which configure attempts to parse, is anything but standard.  Perhaps
also ldd configure would help.

Take care,