gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Build trouble

From: Nicolas FRANCOIS
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Build trouble
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:57:38 +0100

Le Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:45:01 -0700 "Jerry James" <address@hidden> a
écrit :

> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Nicolas FRANCOIS
> <address@hidden>wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I've got a hard time compiling GCL-2.6.7 (Linux (Linux From Scratch),
> > DualCore, Gcc 4.2.3, Glibc 2.7). The build is stuck on a segfault, caused
> > by a buggy malloc, Gentoo bugtracking list dixit :
> >
> > Building symbol table for /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/raw_pre_gcl ..
> >
> > Unrecoverable error: Segmentation violation..
> > /bin/sh: line 1: 13485
> > Abandon                 /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/raw_pre_gcl
> > /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport/
> > -libdir /sources/gcl-2.6.7/ < foo make[1]: *** [saved_pre_gcl] Erreur 134
> > rm raw_pre_gcl make[1]: quittant le répertoire
> > « /sources/gcl-2.6.7/unixport » make: *** [unixport/saved_pre_gcl] Erreur
> > 2
> >
> > I don't quite understand all the workarounds provided by the Gentoo list,
> > as they are quite contradictory. Can someone help me compile this
> > package ? I need it badly for Maxima.
> >

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I'm in the middle of reviving the Fedora build of GCL, and I had a problem
> with segfaults in raw_pre_gcl as well.  They weren't caused by a buggy
> malloc, but rather by GCL's use of libbfd being behind the times.  A
> temporary workaround that works for me is to configure GCL to use its
> built-in bfd library, rather than the system bfd library.  I'm planning to
> look at the problem in more depth this week to see if GCL can be made to use
> a current libbfd.  (If someone has already solved this problem, please let
> me know.)

If you mean compile Gcl (2.6.7) with this configure line :

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-ansi --enable-locbfd \
  --disable-dynsysbfd --disable-statsysbfd --disable-dlopen

it works. Now I would have enjoyed having to pass only

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-ansi --enable-locbfd

but the (quite enigmatic) eror message was :

Exactly one loader option must be chosen: dlopen=no statsysbfd=yes
dynsysbfd=no locbfd=yes custreloc=no

This could be modified, in my own humble opinion.

I don't remember Gcl being so hard to compile. But I think someone
pointed something about it : Gdb modifies some installed libraries, so if
you install Gdb BEFORE Gcl, you may encounter troubles. Can this be
confirmed ?

> If configuring with GCL's bfd library doesn't fix your problem, can you
> provide a backtrace from the segfault?

Djezus man, speak good english to me ! :-) What the hell is "backtrace
from the segfault" ??? A new hard rock tube ? ;-) To be more serious, I
don't know what to backtrace : do I need to run make through Gdb ?

\bye

--

Nicolas FRANCOIS                      |  /\
http://nicolas.francois.free.fr       | |__|