gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Build trouble

From: Nicolas FRANCOIS
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Build trouble
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 02:27:21 +0100

Le Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:50:17 -0700 "Jerry James" <address@hidden> a
écrit :

> GDB comes with a libbfd and a libiberty, both of which are used by GCL.  So,
> yes, if you install GDB then you'll get its versions of those libraries in
> /usr/lib or /usr/lib64.  However, the --enable-locbfd option avoids that
> problem by building the libbfd and libiberty that ship with GCL.  You won't
> use the system libraries in that case, so installation of GDB should not
> matter.

I can confirm now that the problem comes from Gdb. I recompiled binutils
to repair the libraries, and reinstalled Gdb in a way that doesn't
overwrite them ("make -C gdb install" at the final stage).

Then Gcl compiled fine with just the --enable-ansi switch, and no mention
of a particular "loader", whatever that is.

> Sorry, I'll try to avoid speaking Swahili. :-)  It sounds like you solved
> your problem already, so no backtrace (or "stack trace") is needed.  This
> section in the GDB manual explains what they are:
>
> http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_8.html

I try to use Gdb as little as possible, and only when my system has a
*SERIOUS* problem :-P

So I think this should be added to the Gcl build doc, with the
--enable-ansi remark :

"If you installed Gdb in a way that overwrote the libraries installed by
binutils, either reinstall binutils, or pass those switches to your
configure..."

That should settle a problem that seems to annoy quite a lot of people,
in particular all the Gentoo team (not that I'm one of them, mind you ;-)
There are a few mentions of this problem on their bug list, including one
guy who says he posted a question on the Gcl list, without any answer. So
maybe it would be cool to post a message to them to mention the bug fix ?

\bye

--

Nicolas FRANCOIS                      |  /\
http://nicolas.francois.free.fr       | |__|