gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Build trouble

From: Jerry James
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Build trouble
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:45:58 -0700

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Nicolas FRANCOIS
<address@hidden> wrote:
> So I think this should be added to the Gcl build doc, with the
> --enable-ansi remark :
>
> "If you installed Gdb in a way that overwrote the libraries installed by
> binutils, either reinstall binutils, or pass those switches to your
> configure..."
>
> That should settle a problem that seems to annoy quite a lot of people,
> in particular all the Gentoo team (not that I'm one of them, mind you ;-)
> There are a few mentions of this problem on their bug list, including one
> guy who says he posted a question on the Gcl list, without any answer. So
> maybe it would be cool to post a message to them to mention the bug fix ?

Unfortunately, that advice is both distribution- and version-specific.
 Both GDB and binutils use libbfd, so there are versions of both that
work with GCL and versions of both that don't.  (Well, I'm not sure
about GDB, but if there isn't a version yet that has a GCL-breaking
libbfd, there will be some day.)  I'm using a Fedora 9 machine, which
has binutils-2.18.50.0.6, which has the problem.  I also have gdb 6.8,
which is NOT linked against the system libbfd, so I assume they
statically compiled in whatever version of libbfd came with that GDB
version.

I think I see how to fix the GCL code for the newer libbfd.  Hold your
breath, cross your fingers, and hope for a patch in about 12 hours.
:-)

Incidentally, are there any GCL developers on this list?  I've been
posting patches for a few days now and haven't had one say "Boo!" yet.
 I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time or not.
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/