gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Garbage characters when running GCL inside EMACS on Debian 5

From: Donald Winiecki
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Garbage characters when running GCL inside EMACS on Debian 5
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:50:26 -0600

Hi all,

I apologise for what is probably a very simple issue (and maybe not
important at all).

I've been setting up a Debian Linux machine and when I run GCL 2.6.7
inside EMACS, I see the following -- note the extra characters after the
command prompt (`>^M>').

=======

GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 ANSI  profiling  Sep  1 2008 13:55:01
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (XGCL READLINE BFD
UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/

>^M>

=======

This appears regardless what version of EMACS I'm running, whether I'm
running the CLtL1 or ANSI setup of GCL, or whether I have profiling
turned on or not.  I also appears not to affect anything in actual
running of code.

This does not appear when launching GCL inside a terminal window.

Regardless, it's ugly at some level.  Does anyone have any idea what is
going on and how it can be stopped?

Best,

_don winiecki