gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] build failure on x86_64 linux

From: Jerry James
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] build failure on x86_64 linux
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:07:28 -0600

Hi Wolfgang,

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Wolfgang
Pichl<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to build gcl on x86_64 Linux (SLAMD64 distribution). I had any
> kind of weird problems configuring and compiling the stable 2.6.7. After
> applying 2 patches from Fedora and switching off brk randomization in
> /proc/sys/kernel, I got at least 'configure' to work. 'Make' had a problem
> linking libbfd.a, because the version I have requires to link with libz.
> This could be solved by adding the linker flag -lz in makedefc and makedefs,
> but finally compilation ended with a segmentation fault.

I'm the Fedora maintainer, so those patches are my fault. :-)  One of
them makes it unnecessary to switch off brk randomization for the
entire box, if that matters to you (gcl-2.6.8-unrandomize.patch).

Also, note that the -lz problem has been fixed in CVS, and a number of
the Fedora patches have been applied as well.

> Therefore I decided to use the CVS. This worked much better, but finally
> also failed.

That's a strange failure.  I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark
here.  Does adding -fno-strict-aliasing to CFLAGS help?
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/