gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Visit

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Visit
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:01:33 -0400

Greetings!  I've got a local GCL version here which is almost ready
for upload.  Massive inlining work -- in short, just about every lisp
function can be automatically inlined and accordingly simplified under
one single fast-link function calling structure.  No need for
automatic recompilation at load time.  Full interface to all gmp
integer functions in their own package ....

Inlining everything in sight is obviously excessive.  I'm writing a
control function with user-settable parameters which will decide
whether or not to opt out of an inline.  Counting branch eliminations,
detecting whether fixnums and or explicit functions are provided as
arguments appear to me to be the key deciding factors.  Perhaps also
knowing that certain sequence arguments are lists.  What sort of
interface do you feel would be most useful in managing the tradeoff
between size and speed?

Take care,