gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: open-axiom builds on mingw32

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: open-axiom builds on mingw32
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 09:14:56 -0500

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

| Greetings!
|
| My apologies -- one small change required in the open axiom
| src/lisp/Makefile -- comment out the cp of rsym.exe, which is now
| obsolete.  (Perhaps make it conditional on the file being present, to
| interwork with earlier versions.)

Hi Camm,

Thanks for the tip.  I applied the patch below.  I'm not planning on
releasing OpenAxiom-1.4.0 without GCL-2.6.8 fixed so I'm just removing
the rsym hack altogether as implied by the comments :-)

The only issue that remains is for GCL to find its system-directory when
it is installed  Did you get a chance to look at the report?

| fricas builds too, but with the above change, and a manual replacing
| of all the /c/ paths in src/lisp/Makefile with c:/.  Tried alias
| pwd="pwd -W", but this did not seem to do the trick.

Native Windows applications (even when built with msys) should not
hardcode the path with Unix-style pathname.  So, I consider the /c/
issue as a bug in FriCAS's Makefile.

[...]

| >   7. make
| >      This step fails (at base-lisp.exe construction) with
| >
| > Failed to open c:/Docume~1/gdr/Desktop/gcl-2.6.8.cvs/unixport/raw_gcl.exe
(2)...
| > bailing.
| >

| > I suspect this must be related to GCL trying to figure out what
| > si::system-directory
| > should be.

-- Gaby

*** config/open-axiom.m4        (revision 3828)
--- config/open-axiom.m4        (local)
*************** AC_PROG_CPP
*** 226,252 ****
  OPENAXIOM_CPPFLAGS_FOR_VENDOR_LOCK_INS
  ])

- dnl -------------------------
- dnl -- OPENAXIOM_GCL_HACKS --
- dnl -------------------------
- dnl Some auxiliary programs generated by GCL need to be at the
- dnl right place when compiling under mingw32.
- AC_DEFUN([OPENAXIOM_GCL_HACKS],[
- ## The following is a horrible hack to arrange for GCL to successfully
- ## rebuild symbol tables with "rsym" on Windows platform.  It should
- ## go away as soon as GCL upstream is fixed.
- AC_SUBST(axiom_gcl_rsym_hack)
- case $axiom_lisp_flavor,$target in
-     gcl,*mingw*)
-         axiom_gcl_rsym_hack='d=`echo "(format nil \"~a\"
si::*system-directory*)" | $(AXIOM_LISP) | grep "/gcl.*/" | sed -e "s,\",,g"`;
cp $$d/rsym$(EXEEXT) .'
-       ;;
-     *)
-         ## Breath.
-         axiom_gcl_rsym_hack=':'
-       ;;
- esac
- ])
-
  dnl ---------------------------------
  dnl -- OPENAXIOM_SATISFY_GCL_NEEDS --
  dnl ---------------------------------
--- 226,231 ----
*** configure.ac        (revision 3828)
--- configure.ac        (local)
*************** oa_all_prerequisites=
*** 83,89 ****
  AC_SUBST(oa_all_prerequisites)

  OPENAXIOM_HOST_COMPILERS
- OPENAXIOM_GCL_HACKS
  OPENAXIOM_HOST_DATA_PROPERTIES

  OPENAXIOM_DYNAMIC_MODULE_SUPPORT
--- 83,88 ----
*** src/lisp/Makefile.in        (revision 3828)
--- src/lisp/Makefile.in        (local)
*************** lisp_c_objects = \

  $(OUT)/lisp$(EXEEXT): base-lisp$(EXEEXT)
  ifeq (@axiom_lisp_flavor@,gcl)
-       @axiom_gcl_rsym_hack@
        echo '(let* ((sys-cc compiler::*cc*) ' \
             '      (sys-ld compiler::*ld*) ' \
             '      (compiler::*cc* (concatenate (quote string) ' \