gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: open-axiom builds on mingw32

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: open-axiom builds on mingw32
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 11:25:37 -0400

Greetings!

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Greetings!  P.S.  Would be great if someone else could confirm before
>> release ....
>
> Hi Camm,
>
>  I did the following:
>
>   1. `make clean' in the local tree
>   2. update local copy of CVS gcl-2.6.8pre
>   3. build GCL
>   4. install GCL
>   5. make clean (GCL directory)
>   6. configure OpenAxiom for build with gcl
>   7. make
>      This step fails (at base-lisp.exe construction) with
>
> Failed to open c:/Docume~1/gdr/Desktop/gcl-2.6.8.cvs/unixport/raw_gcl.exe
> (2)...
> bailing.
>

> I suspect this must be related to GCL trying to figure out what
> si::system-directory
> should be.
>
> I think GCL should be looking to the install directory, but somehow it does
> not.
> Does that sounds plausible?

OK I did the above with the latest tarball you sent me.  After
./configure --with-lisp=gcl, I commented out the rsym cp as previously
mentioned.  The build has proceeded past the point you mention.

GCL resets its system paths on installation via the function
(reset-sys-paths ...), called in the makefile when the install target
is invoked.  You should be able to fire up gcl and type
si::*system-directory* and get the right answer, as I just verified on
the win box at my disposal.

Here is how the raw_gcl.exe pathname is determined, which is not
related to the *system-directory* setting.  In general, it should
produce the truename of the current directory:

(defun link (files image &optional post extra-libs (run-user-init t))

  (let* ((ui (make-user-init files "user-init"))
         (raw (pathname image))
         (init (merge-pathnames (make-pathname
                                 :name (concatenate 'string "init_"
(pathname-name raw))
                                 :type "lsp") raw))
         (raw (merge-pathnames raw (truename "./")))
         (raw (merge-pathnames (make-pathname
                                :name (concatenate 'string "raw_"
(pathname-name raw)))
                               raw))
         (map (merge-pathnames (make-pathname
                                :name (concatenate 'string (pathname-name raw)
"_map")) raw))
         #+winnt (raw (merge-pathnames (make-pathname :type "exe") raw))
         )

If you pass a full path in image, that will be used, else the current
directory.

I suspect your C compiler could not write the file.  It is possible
but less likely that the file could not be executed.

I would suggest:

1) find your installed saved_gcl, and execute
2) (si::use-fast-links nil)(trace system open compiler::link)(si::save-system
"ff")
3) mv ff saved_gcl

and repeat the above to get a little more detail.  Or perhaps the
above is enough to show you what is going on.

Separately, a few items I've noticed if interested:

1)  make clean does not appear to remove the binaries
2)  CFLAGS and LDFLAGS are not propagated.  This makes testing, for
example, on machines with more than one abi very difficult.
E.g. typically one tests sparc64 on a sparc32 machine with export
CFLAGS=-m64; export LDFLAGS=-m64.  All code must be so
compiled for the linker to combine it.

Take care,