gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: ia64

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: ia64
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:49:38 -0500

Greetings!  Great to hear from you -- was just arguing with myself
whether I was going to tackle this or not.

Some unrelated good news -- hppa32 is finished and testing, and will
be committed shortly.

"Richard E. Harke" <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, steps one and two were easy enough.
>
> I have been reading documentation and looking
> through existing code but i think it is time to
> ask some questions. First, maybe, some more
> background. If this is to replace the use of
> dlopen, what is the advantage?

Primarily two items:

1) dlopen consumes a file descriptor for each loaded .o file --
axiom for example has already exceeded the standard limits and cannot
build its databases using dlopen without root privelege modifications.

2) It is well nigh impossible to implement the persistence customary
in lisp developemnt -- load .o, save-system, move image wherever,
re-execute.  All .o files would have to follow the image and retain
their paths, or the entire image would need to be rebuilt with a
somewhat complicated auxiliary procedure, compiler::link, calling ld
directly and building gcl and the new code together all over again.
This is very finicky to get right, as for example, it will be unable
to replicate the effect of loading the same file twice, requires
unique filenames, requires special lisp code to be written for each
appliaction, etc.  In sum, it takes an incremental image buildup model
to a global assembly process, requiring all bits to be present when
needed.

If dlopen could be passed an address into which the relocated code
would be dumped, and release the file-descriptor, that would be
perfect.  I've requested such support from the libc people -- not much
response yet.

In any case, ia64, thumb, and possibly ppc64 are the only machines
still unsupported.

> As a replacement for dlopen, I assume that only
> the relocs handled in dlopen need be dealt with.

Or perhaps the relocs output by gcc using the flags of the
compiler::*cc* and compiler::*opt-three* variables.

> What about lazy binding?

Given the lack of callable .plt entries on mips, we have a facility to
re-exec on startup pushing LD_BIND_NOW to the environment.  No other
machine requires this.  Relocations must be made to addresses within
the finally linked executable as opposed to within an external shared
lib as ld.so might not give the same address on subsequent execution
or on a different machine.  Most machines have a .plt trampoline which
does the lazy binding on first call.  Where direct addressing is
present, we just call the .plt for a slightly slower call.  Where got
load calls occur, we can just point to the global got and follow the
main executable of doing the plt code only once (except on mips).

Now a question or two of my own:

In the code:

0000000000000000 <init_code>:
   0:   00 08 15 08 80 05       [MII]       alloc r33=ar.pfs,5,4,0
   6:   20 02 30 00 42 00                   mov r34=r12
   c:   04 00 c4 00                         mov r32=b0
  10:   02 18 01 02 00 21       [MII]       mov r35=r1
                        11: GPREL22     .sdata
  16:   e0 00 04 00 48 80                   addl r14=0,r1;;
  1c:   04 70 00 84                         mov r36=r14
  20:   10 00 00 00 01 00       [MIB]       nop.m 0x0
                        22: PCREL21B    do_init
  26:   00 00 00 02 00 00                   nop.i 0x0
  2c:   08 00 00 50                         br.call.sptk.many b0=20
<init_code+0x20>

I take it r35 is always set to (presumably) the top of the function.
Are there really only 22/21 bits of relative addressing space from
this point to both do_init and .sdata?  On other machines with gp
pointers, one can set the value to a nearby location at function
beginning.

Take care,