gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] identifying string-streams

From: Matt Kaufmann
Subject: [Gcl-devel] identifying string-streams
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:58:16 -0600

Hi --

I'd be grateful if someone can answer the question below, even in the
negative, but I can work around the issue so please don't spend more
than a moment on this.

In ANSI Common Lisp, (typep stream 'string-stream) is true when stream
is connected to a stream (hence not to a file).  In non-ANSI GCL, the
type of such a stream is 'stream, not 'string-stream, and the only way
I found (after considerable searching) to do such a query is as
follows:

(si::stream-name stream) appears to return NIL if and only if stream
is a string-stream.

QUESTION: For non-ANSI GCL, is this correct for both past and future
versions, or is there a better way to identify string-streams?

Thanks.  If there is a different list I should query instead, please
let me know (and, my apologies).

Regards,
Matt Kaufmann