gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCC 4.8.0 problem

From: Jerry James
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCC 4.8.0 problem
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:50:58 -0600

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Jerry James <address@hidden> wrote:
> Fedora Rawhide has moved to what will soon be GCC 4.8.0.  GCL now
> fails to build properly on i386, although it still builds properly on
> x86_64.  The build reaches this point:

I finally got around to figuring this out.  The GCC 4.8.0 release
notes say that -O implies -fomit-frame-pointer on more platforms now.
Apparently i386 is one of them.  If I add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to
the build flags, and edit configure to remove the spot where it adds
-fomit-frame-pointer to the build flags, then the build succeeds.

I have no idea why that makes a difference.  The symptom was that the
value stack would overflow.  Is management of the value stack tied to
the program stack somehow?

Regards,
--
Jerry James