gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] ASDF 3.0.0

From: Faré
Subject: [Gcl-devel] ASDF 3.0.0
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 01:13:52 -0400

Dear GCL hackers,

I'm proud to announce the release of release ASDF 3.0.0.
Note that since I haven't been able to compile GCL in ages,
and haven't seriously tried any of the recently published recipes to do it
despite library mismatches on modern OSes,
I haven't really tested ASDF with GCL.
Please test it, and include it in GCL and/or send me patches.

I'll have to produce some document explaining the innovations since
ASDF 2.26, 2.000 and/or 1.369, but for now here are just the changes
since 2.33.

As you can see, it's very minor stuff, and ASDF has been mostly stable
these last two months, which is a good sign and the reason why I'm
making an official 3.0.0 release.

I'm also inserting a new digit in the version, so releases will have
three digits:
3.0.0, 3.0.1, etc. will be minor continuations of 3.0. 3.1.0 will be
the next "major"
milestone in a series that preserves backward compatibility, and 4.0 (if ever)
will be the next major release that doesn't.
But I probably won't be there to see it, because I'm moving away from
my Common Lisp job in Cambridge MA
to some new as yet undetermined opportunities in NYC that
are unlikely to see me do Common Lisp for a living, and
I plan to try out different Lisps for a hobby (Racket, Maru, etc.).

  * Portability: have *uninteresting-conditions* be empty by default.
    Move stuff to *usual-uninteresting-conditions*, unused by default.
    Will make the SBCL team happy. Also, fix tests on ABCL.
    Fix regression of program-op on ECL, by implicitly linking in UIOP or ASDF.

  * UIOP: improvements to slurp-input-stream and thus run-program,
    notably accepting T as alias for *standard-output*,
    for better backward-compatibility of the deprecated run-shell-command.
    New macro with-output-file.

  * POIU support enhanced with various tweaks.

  * Build cleanup so make and concatenate-source-op create the same asdf.lisp

Beware of altruism. It is based on self-deception, the root of all evil.
        — Robert Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"