gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Compiling GCL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Compiling GCL
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 16:09:45 -0500

Greetings!

Faré <address@hidden> writes:

> Safe mode is "just" a declaim or declare (optimize (safety 3)), isn't it?

yes.

> OK, I haven't yet isolated the issue, but I can tell that frob-substring
> in uiop/common-lisp is not being compiled properly: it works when
> defun'd at the REPL,

Thanks for this report!  It should be fixed now.  The test errors are
reduced, with some 'does not exist' errors apparently next.

Thanks so much for isolating this report!  You probably don't have to
work so hard -- all I need is 'this function (source) when called as
(call) returns (results) in the REPL and (compiled results) when
compiled.  I expected (expected results)'.  Of course getting a small
function is ideal, but one fitting in an emacs screen is just fine.

Our pathname code is really bad and hard to maintain, and needs a
rewrite.  We had a very helpful volunteer who coded it in C, but this
made it much longer than it needs to be and harder to interactively
modify.  Alas, I only 'sort-of' understand logical-pathnames, but am
learning more.  The case matching rules are especially opaque to me.
Many of your tests were failing as namestring recapitalized your host
string, as the spec appears to say it should.  I've put in a fix, but it
may not yet be comprehensive.

We have a test suite, and all tests in ansi-tests/*logical-path*p pass.
It would be great if you find other failures and feel in the mood to
suggest added tests.  I do look at this frequently and it is likely to
be kept in reasonable shape as gcl progresses.  Running the test-suite
is the last step in my commit release cycle.

Take care,