gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] subprojects

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] subprojects
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:24:57 -0500

Greetings!  We provide a convenience copy of gmp in our sources in all
versions, and one of binutils in master.  I'm asking here for advice on
how to manage these using git.  Ideally we'd just eliminate them, but I
know several systems (windows in particular) which count on building
their own gmp.  We could drop the binutils linker option as its
currently obsolete, though alot of work went into it and it might be
useful in the future.

ftp.gnu.org initially refused our latest upload because of the out of
date Makefile.in files in gmp4/ which were reported as 'vulnerable'.  I
upgraded to the same later gmp version used in the 2.6.9 release, but
have avoided doing this in git, as the commit/diff will be huge, and as
I frequently diff nearby commits, want to avoid this.

I don't know how git might handle binary files in the source tree.

Advice most welcome!

Take care,