gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Solving the Year 2038 Problem in GNU Common Lisp

From: Sergei Haramundanis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Solving the Year 2038 Problem in GNU Common Lisp
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 18:36:54 -0500

On 12/24/2013 04:23 PM, Eugene Surowitz wrote:
What do you mean by "databases" in this context?

Gene

On Dec 23, 2013, at 11:05 PM, Sergei Haramundanis<address@hidden>  wrote:

I have been looking at developing a GCL multiple precision solution for the
Year 2038 Problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem and wanted to
find out if there are any solutions already implemented in GCL I can use, as I
want the GCL application I am developing to support accurate time references
and calculations far into the past and future.

Since all currently existing databases have very restrictive date ranges and
all operating systems in one way or another have this type of problem, I am
looking at abstracting time references using an Epoch to define zero time, a
19-byte signed integer (instead of the current 13-byte integer) to identify the
number of milliseconds since the Epoch and possibly an Ephemeris for validation
and adjustment for leap-seconds, etc.

I know this is a difficult problem to solve, so am interested in any thoughts
the community has on this issue.

Sergei