gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] sys-proclaims.lisp

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] sys-proclaims.lisp
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 12:25:00 -0400

Greetings!

Robert Dodier <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2014-06-26, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Greetings!  In putting together 2.6.11, I've added automatic
>> 'proclaimed-closure detection to GCL's sys-proclaim.lisp generating
>> facility.
>
> Actually since versions prior to 2.6.11 are widely used, won't
> it cause problems to change the build machinery?
> Is there a way to test for version 2.6.11+ ? Is it worth the trouble?
>  ... I'm generally a little hesitant about including version tests.

There should be no issue with any gcl version, as the original evasion
of the gcl output was just intended to keep sys-proclaims.lisp
relatively constant from an svn point of view.  I.e. maxima took gcl's
output, and tried to rewrite it in less volatile form.  All gcl versions
will be able to process all sys-proclaims.lisp generated by the same
version.  As I indicated before, the default build as of 5.33.0 appears
to be to build twice, once just to generate the sys-proclaims.lisp file
on the fly.  So really this file need not be in maxima's archive at all,
and you will have no concerns that you have version skew in this regard.

Take care,