gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] gcl memory usage

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] gcl memory usage
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 07:57:45 -0400

Greetings!

Gunter Königsmann <address@hidden> writes:

>> gcl's decision to consume all available memory before GCing seems very
>> unfriendly, and would seem to make the GC pause huge.

By default GCL will start gc at 1/2 physical memory, then progressively
increase aggressivity to maximum at 3/4.  The parameters are all
adjustable with environment variable settings.

> What I like about gcl is that if you start several maxima instances at
> the same time they seem to be able to communicate about which instance
> uses how much memory.

Glad to see this feature is getting some exercise, as I think it needs
to be turned on by default at release.  There is a small overhead which
I regret, but communicating to multi-instance users how to setup their
environment seems to forbidding an alternative.

Thanks for all your work on maxima!

Take care,